The Protection/Registration Assistant will report to the Protection Officer. The incumbent provides functional and administrative support to the protection unit on registration, protection related liaison, correspondence, monitoring, case management and reporting activities.
S/he also supports the protection unit in responding to queries from asylum seekers and refugees regarding UNHCR's registration procedures and their rights, entitlements, timely and effective protection responses to persons of concern.
S/he liaises with protection staff and partners to ensure timely identification and referral of persons of concern in need of specialised services including case management and protection follow up.
S/he also facilitates the involvement of persons of concern with the Office, s/he will need to build and maintain effective interfaces with communities of concern, local authorities and protection partners.
- The protection of populations of concern is met through the application of International and National Law, relevant UN/UNHCR protection standards and IASC principles.
- Protection activities are guided by the UNHCR country protection strategy.
- UNHCR's ISF Registration Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) are implemented in accordance with relevant UNHCR standards and policies.
- Persons of concern have fair and transparent access to registration procedures.
- Consistently apply International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct.
- Observe and respect protection related Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Conduct registration interviews in accordance with local ISF Registration SOPs and other registration guidelines
- Respond to queries from asylum seekers and refugees regarding UNHCR's registration procedures and their rights and entitlements.
- Provide functional and administrative support in implementing participatory approaches, needs assessments, monitoring, reporting and case management.
- Collaborate with protection staff and/or partners in the delivery of protection and assistance, including provision of identity and entitlement documentations.
- Facilitate liaison with competent authorities for the issuance of personal and other relevant documents.
- Assist in drafting reports, routine correspondence, updating relevant databases and compiling statistics for the protection unit/section.
- Select persons of concern for preliminary interviews and decide which relevant information to share.
- Refer cases to other functional units within the office and to implementing partners as required.
- Enforce integrity in registration processes as well as the delivery of protection services by partners.
- Technological Awareness
- Political Awareness
- Stakeholder Management
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Completion of secondary education preferably with post-secondary training or certificate in, social sciences, protection, statistics, information technology or related field.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant job experience (2 years with post-secondary training/ certificate).
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of local language.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies:
- Training in basic principles of international protection.
- Experience in working with UNHCR proGres software.
- Good computer skills.