The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) Country Office for Pakistan (COPAK) is tasked with assisting Pakistan through its Country Programme (CP) 2010-15 with a focus on capacity-building of various federal and provincial public institutions in the areas of illicit trafficking and border management; criminal justice; and drug demand reduction and HIV/AIDS. To address the need for administrative, finance and logistical management, sub programme II (Criminal Justice) requires the services of a Programme Coordination Assistant.
The main focus of this assignment is to provide support to the Advisor, Criminal Justice, Programme Officer, RoL based in Karachi and the Programme Officers based in Islamabad in facilitating their work in Sindh administratively and logistically to ensure a smooth flow of work within SPII.
The Programme Assistant – RoL in Sindh will work under the supervision of the Programme Officer- RoL Sindh and the overall guidance of the Programme Officer-RoL Islamabad and close cooperation with SPII based in Islamabad and Quetta. The incumbent will undertake the following duties and responsibilities:
Coordination and Support
• Provide administrative support to SPII Advisor and Programme Officer – RoL in facilitating travel requests, accommodation, transportation, etc.;
• Provide support to SPII in organizing events (administratively and logistically) in Sindh;
• Assist in tracking financial expenditure and providing financial statements;
• Draft and process correspondence and communication;
• Provide logistical support as required;
• Handle incoming and outgoing mail;
• Keep an electronic and hard copies filing system of all necessary documents;
• Create and maintain a database of key stakeholders and focal points in Sindh including UN agencies;
• Assist in the preparation of travel requests and related logistics as required;
• Support the organization of events tasks and logistical requirements;
• Manage and facilitate appointments with counterparts, UN agencies, and other stakeholders in Sindh;
• Coordinate and liaise with other inter-office units in Islamabad for facilitating the work of SPII in Sindh and follow up on procurement and financial related cases;
• Provide assistance to the overall implementation of the activities of the Sub-programme II as required;
• Participate in field travels for administrative and logistical support when required;
• Ensures deadlines are observed and timely input is requested from the Programme Officers;
• Liaises with the relevant SPII Programme Officers for the scheduling of payments;
• Assist the Programme Associate based in Islamabad in facilitating her/his work;
• Any other tasks required by the Advisor and the Programme Officer-RoL.
• A Higher Secondary School Certificate.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
• 3 years of progressive work experience, preferably involving organization in criminal justice context.
• Ability to work under pressure and follow tight deadlines.
• Ability to interact professionally with the different stakeholders.
• Previous experience with the UN or an international organization/environment is an asset.
Planning and organizing
Planning and Implementation Arrangements
The incumbent Programme Assistant will be based at the Home Department in Karachi, Sindh and will report to UNODC's Programme Officer-RoL Sindh.
Payment Schedule and Rate
The incumbent will be issued an SC contract in accordance with United Nations rules and procedures. Payment scale will be determined by UNDP recommended rates for service contract holders.