- This employer is no longer accepting CVs for this job, it has been deactivated by the company's administrator.
| | Industry:
Full Time/Permanent ( First Shift (Day) )
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Note: Recruitment process is subject to final approval from UN-Habitat Head Quarters.
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable communities, towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. UN-Habitat has been a partner with the number of ministries at national and provincial level, development partners, civil society organizations and academia.
UN-Habitat Pakistan Country Programme Pakistan, 2018-2022 lays down the roadmap for achieving the New Urban Agenda focusing on right to adequate housing, universal access to safe and affordable drinking water and sanitation and other basic services, sustainable economic growth, building resilience and protection and conservation of natural habitat as well as Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) particularly SDG11 aiming to make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient, and sustainable. The Country Programme is aligned with the Pakistan United Nations Sustainable Development Framework (UNSDF) One UN Programme (OP-III).
UN-Habitat provides a cross-cutting approach for reducing vulnerabilities and risks before and after the disasters. The organization’s approach to disaster risk management/disaster risk reduction, reconstruction and recovery is based on its long-standing experience in working closely with the communities, provincial and local authorities to meet their needs for land, shelter, basic services, secure tenure and infrastructure while simultaneously addressing the longer-term development needs and advocating on policy interventions.
UN-Habitat in collaboration with Ministry of Climate Change started a project to enhance community, local and national-level urban climate change resilience to water scarcity, caused by floods and droughts in Rawalpindi and Nowshera cities which aims to enhance the capacity of households in selected areas of Rawalpindi and Nowshera, to construct, operate and replicate flood resilient water harvesting facilities; besides, engaging the City & District authorities to develop the rain water harvesting facilities on public buildings and flood water storages in public gardens; and also to develop spatial strategies to manage city-level developments considering climate change risks and impacts caused by floods and droughts.
In the Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR)/Disaster Risk Management (DRM) and building climate change resilience, UN-Habitat has started a project to promote disaster resilient school infrastructure in KP Province.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Habitat Programme Manager (HPM) in Pakistan and overall supervision of the Human Settlements Officer (HSO) in the Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (ROAP), the incumbent will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Project planning and establish the implementation plan for the identified projects under the country programme.
- Collaborate with the internal and external partners and stakeholders on the project implementing actions, issues and critical interventions, linkages and coordination of project activities to meet the desired outcomes.
- Plan, manage, monitor, and oversee the different steps and stages of project execution, take decisions and timely actions to ensure results are achieved.
- Plan and manage project resources (financial and human resources) to maximize project cost-effectiveness and efficiency.
- Propose new initiatives and areas for support based on changing trends, priorities, political and economic conditions and prepare concept notes and/or programme documents for new funding.
- Manage the preparation for Project Committees and Programme Management Team Meetings and other designated fora and follow up on all decisions taken to ensure implementation and/or timely action.
- Be responsible for required and other project reports (progress, financial, procurement, etc.) for management information, oversight and action.
- Establish the work plan, activities, targets, budget, standards for measuring progress and results and determine the processes, tools and methodologies to be used to ensure effective and efficient project implementation and operations.
- Monitor progress and identify risks for timely action and early resolution if required bring to the senior management.
- Plan and oversee the implementation of mid-term and other required project evaluation to address any design or implementation issues.
- Ensure compliance of all actions and activities with UN rules, regulations, policies, strategies and internal control mechanisms and donor project implementation policies
- Support to capture knowledge, best practices and lessons learned, best practices and ensure its dissemination for organizational and stakeholders learning and sharing.
Payments will be made monthly and based on deliverables over the contract period. The rate is determined by functions performed and experience of the contractor. The fee will be paid as per agreement.
- Promotes UN’s values and ethical standards (tolerance, integrity, respect, results orientation, impartiality)
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral):
- Sensitivity to and responsiveness to all partners,
- Respectful and helpful relations with all UN staff
- Degree in Humanities, social sciences, communication or relevant field.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience and 3 years of relevant and responsible work experience in program management in the area of disaster risk reduction.
- Knowledge of local governance , local area and community is essential
- Experience to provide support in development projects with particular focus on disaster risk mitigation including retrofitting of infrastructure and water & sanitation sector is preferable.
- Fluency in English as well as the national language of the country (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Email, Internet, Microsoft Teams, Database Management, and preferably programme management applications.