- This employer is no longer accepting CVs for this job, it has been deactivated by the company's administrator.
Research & Documentation Associate
Full Time/Permanent ( First Shift (Day) )
Master’s degree in social sciences, development studies, law preferably with a focus on gender, human rights, and/ or justice; or any other relevant field
2 Years(Experience of working with the Government, Academia, NGOs and/ or international organizations on gender issues)
Introduction and Background:
United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women) strives to promote gender equality and women’s human rights, strengthen implementation of gender sensitive policy and legislation, and eliminate all forms of violence against women. Attention is given to issues of excluded groups and their capacity to lobby so that these become part of mainstream decision making and planning. It provides technical advisory and services on women’s economic empowerment, ending violence against women and girls, women’s leadership and participation, including in disaster risk reduction and management and gender integration in planning and budgeting. UN Women works towards ensuring an effective UN response by strengthening the effectiveness, coordination, and quality of outputs on gender equality amongst the various stakeholders.
UN Women launched its programme in Pakistan in 2007 following a request by the Government of Pakistan and the United Nations is now strategically positioned in this regard at both the national and provincial levels. In moving towards realization of gender equality and women’s empowerment, UN Women provides support to innovative initiatives that promote women’s human rights, with a special focus on their economic security, governance/ political participation, freedom from violence, as well as preparedness and responding to humanitarian crises.
To reaffirm its commitment to Gender Equality, UN WOMEN has entered into a strategic partnership with Women Parliamentary Caucus (WPC) - Provincial Assembly of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, by signing an MOU. Through this partnership, technical support will be provided to WPC for assistance in research and reporting, management of official social media page and other related tasks.
Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women is working closely with national and provincial women machineries including the Women Parliamentary Caucus of Provincial Assembly Khyber Pakhtunkhwa to develop their capacities in initiating, promoting and implementing pro-women policies, legislation and initiatives. In Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP), UN Women is supporting the Government of KP’s efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into effective action in the province. With the support of UN Women Pakistan, the Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa launched its Women Empowerment Policy 2017. This Policy clearly defines the four target areas to be adopted for ensuring women empowerment’s and gender equality in the province.
In this context, UN Women’s EVAW, Governance and Human Rights Unit aims to provide technical and coordination support to the Women Parliamentary Caucus for a positive impact on the status of women in KP and show progress in implementation of Pakistan’s international commitments towards gender equality and women empowerment. Accurate analysis, effective implementation, timely delivery of activities, proper documentation, and dissemination of information will enhance Women Parliamentary Caucus- KP’s position as a strong development partner for a positive impact in the lives of the women of KP.
The immediate objective of this position is to support WPC in awareness and advocacy on women’s rights, support gender relevant research and draft official documents, initiate dialogues and capacity building and commemorate related national and international events.
The overall deliverables will include:
- Develop a workplan and ensure timely and quality delivery of activities as per the work plan. Update the workplan as needed in case of any changes.
- Provide technical support for drafting documents on gender/ women’s issues and the work of the WPC-KP including position papers, resolutions/ declarations, presentations, official statements, internal and external reports, communications and advocacy material, etc.
- Gather and maintain gender relevant data for advocacy and research purposes.
- Keep track of all submitted, in process and approved pro-women laws for better planning purposes. Regularly monitor media for news on issues relating to these laws and provide updates to the WPC-KP and UN Women.
- Showcase the gender equality agenda of the provincial government and political parties through social media and other relevant platforms for awareness and advocacy on women rights.
- Provide support in arrangement of joint special events including International Women’s Day, National Women’s Day, 16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence etc.
- Provide Programme and Administrative support to the focal person of Women Parliamentary Caucus- KP.
- Facilitate knowledge building on gender issues and knowledge sharing between WPC-KP and UN Women.
- Any other related task assigned by the supervisors.
- Master’s degree in social sciences, development studies, law preferably with a focus on gender, human rights, and/ or justice; or any other relevant field;
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in women’s issues and policy advocacy;
- Experience of working with the Government, Academia, NGOs and/ or international organizations on gender issues;
- Knowledge of ICT and adequate computer literacy for accomplishment of tasks.
Skills and Competencies:
- Demonstrated commitment to UN Women’s mission, vision and values;
- Good knowledge of gender equality, pro-women laws, human rights, violence against women, and other gender related issues;
- Familiarity with national and international instruments on human rights, women’s rights and gender equality and Pakistan’s commitments to these instruments;
- Knowledge of the local context of the province about gender equality and women’s empowerment;
- Proven ability to establish, build and sustain effective relationships with government agencies, development partners and civil society organizations;
- Excellent analytical, writing, editing, presentation, facilitation and documentation skills in English;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Ability to comunicate effectively in English and Urdu. Ability to communicate in Pashto language will be an asset.