Policy Specialist - WDD Balochistan
Individual Contract - SSA ( First Shift (Day) )
• Master’s degree or equivalent in gender, women’s studies, social sciences, international development, international relations or other development-related fields;
5 Years(• A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in development, focused on providing policy advice, technical assistance and/ or programming around gender equality, women’s empowerment and women’s rights issues;)
UN Women’s EVAW, Governance and Human Rights Unit, in collaboration with the Women Development Department Balochistan, is planning to review and update the provincial Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment (GE/ WE) policy (2012) in Balochistan to determine its alignment and compatibility with international human rights instruments. The aim is to provide recommendations and technical assistance to help WDD improve the GE/ WE Policy in all aspects – i.e social, economic and political empowerment as well as protection from VAW and support to survivors.
For this purpose, UN Women seeks to recruit a consultant to assist WDD for reviewing and revising the provincial GE/ WE policy and aligning it with the SDGs along with clear indicators and a costed implementation plan to develop a well guided implementation framework for action.
The consultant will work under the direct supervision of the Secretary, Women Development Department and liaise with the Programme Officer, UN Women Balochistan sub office with overall guidance from the Portfolio Lead, EVAW, Governance & Human Rights, UN Women.
Under the direct supervision of the Secretary WDD Balochistan and with guidance from the Portfolio Lead EVAW, Governance & HR, the Policy Specialist will:
- Conduct a thorough analysis of existing policies, structures, institutions and mechanisms relevant to the GE/ WE Policy in Balochistan;
- Undertake a desk review of international best practices of government-wide coordination, implementation, monitoring and accountability systems for gender equality and women’s empowerment policies to inform the decision makers;
- Assess the gaps in the current GE/ WE Policy Balochistan and the potential for adjusting/ establishing new mechanisms and structures to improve the government’s accountability for gender equality and women’s empowerment commitments;
- Alignment of the policy with the SDGs in the context of Balochistan.
- Organize meetings and consultations to facilitate multi-stakeholder groups including relevant government departments, SDGs Accelerating Unit in P & D, womens’ groups, EVAWG Alliance /civil society organizations, religious minorities, women with disability, transgender and other key actors, to analyze gaps and provide recommendations – consultations should be held in different divisions of Balochistan in order to include rural and urban aspects of women’s development;
- Update and revise the GE/ WE Policy and implementation plan on the basis of stakeholders’ feedback, as well as comments from WDD and UN Women.
- Finalize and share the draft policy and costed implementation plan with WDD and UN Women for endorsement.
- Revise and finalize the drafts with feedback received.
The WDD and UN Women will provide the Policy Specialist with background information/ material, feedback and technical inputs to accomplish this assignment.
The duration of this assignment is 4 months.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in gender, women’s studies, social sciences, international development, international relations or other development-related fields;
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in development, focused on providing policy advice, technical assistance and/ or programming around gender equality, women’s empowerment and women’s rights issues;
- Experience of writing analytical documents and reports, policy analysis and development of implementation plans;
- An understanding of the SDGs in Balochistan’s context will be an asset.
- Experience in coordination and advocacy.
Skills and Competencies:
- Demonstrated commitment to UN Women’s mission, vision and values;
- Good knowledge of gender equality, human rights, violence against women, and other gender related issues;
- Familiarity with national and international instruments on human rights, women’s rights and gender equality and Pakistan’s commitments to these instruments;
- Strong knowledge of referring to and applying international norms and standards on gender equality (particularly CEDAW, Beijing Platform for Action, SDGs, SDG 5, etc.) to provincial, national and regional contexts;
- Knowledge of the local context of the province with regard to gender equality and women’s empowerment;
- Proven ability to establish, build and sustain effective relationships with government agencies, development partners, civil society organizations along with community level women groups;
- Excellent analytical, writing, editing, presentation, facilitation and documentation skills in English;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Language Requirements: Fluency in English and Urdu. Ability to communicate in local language is an asset.
- Computer skills comprising knowledge of Windows, internet communications and command of MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Power Point).