- This employer is no longer accepting CVs for this job, it has been deactivated by the company's administrator.
WASH Specialist, NOC, FT, Karachi # 72127 Req. 506268 (For Pakistan Nationals Only)
Fixed Term Staff
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children's rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential to the benefit of a better world.
For every child, clean water
How can you make a difference?
The WASH Specialist reports to the Chief Field Office for guidance and general supervision. The Specialist supports the development, preparation, management, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the WASH programme within the country programme. The Specialist provides technical guidance and management support throughout the programming processes, to facilitate the administration and achievement of the WASH-related output results in the country programme.
To make a difference you will be accountable for the following key duties & tasks:
1. Programme development and planning
- Draft the WASH inputs for the situation analysis. Provide timely, comprehensive and current data to inform WASH policy and programme development, planning, management and implementation. Keep abreast of WASH sector development trends, for maximum efficiency and effectiveness in programme design, management and implementation.
- Participate in strategic WASH programme planning discussions. Prepare WASH donor proposals, ensuring alignment with the UNICEFs Strategic Plan, UNICEFs global WASH strategy and the Country Programme as well as government plans and priorities, and the role of other external support agencies.
- Assist in the formulation of the WASH outcome and output results, related indicators, baselines, targets and means of verification. Prepare required documentation for programme reviews.
- Work with internal and external colleagues and partners to discuss strategies and methodologies for the achievement of WASH output results in the country programme.
- Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes and ensure integration, coherence and harmonization of WASH with other UNICEF sectors, for the achievement of the WASH output results.
- Draft assigned sections of the annual work plan, in close cooperation with government and other counterparts.
- Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results
- With other external support agencies, strengthen national government WASH sector monitoring systems, with a focus on WASH outcomes (behaviors), using bottleneck analysis tools available in the sector (WASH-BAT, CSOs, SDAs).
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual sectoral reviews with government and other counterparts and prepare reports on results for required action/interventions at the higher level of program management.
- Prepare/assess monitoring and evaluation reports to identify gaps, strengths/weaknesses in programmes and management, identify and document lessons learned.
- Monitor and report on the use of sectoral programme resources (financial, administrative and other assets), verify compliance with approved allocations, organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity. Report on issues identified to enable timely resolution by management/stakeholders.
- Prepare sectoral progress reports for management, donors and partners.
3. Technical and operational support for programme implementation
- Actively monitor UNICEF-supported activities through field visits, surveys and exchange of information with partners, to assess progress, identify bottlenecks and potential problems and take timely decisions to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for timely interventions.
- Provide technical and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on the application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices in WASH, to support programme implementation.
- Plan for use of technical experts from the Regional Office and HQ, as and where appropriate in the WASH programme, through remote support and on-site visits.
- Participate in WASH programme meetings, to review progress, with government, other sector agencies and implementation partners, involved at various stages of WASH programme implementation, to provide expert advice and guidance.
- Draft policy papers, briefs and other strategic materials for use by management, donors, UNICEF regional office and headquarters.
4. Humanitarian WASH preparedness and response
- Prepare requisitions for supplies, services, long-term agreements and partnership agreements to ensure UNICEF is prepared to deliver on its commitments for WASH in case of an emergency.
- Contribute to the coordination arrangement for humanitarian WASH, for instant robust coordination in case of an emergency.
- Ensure that all UNICEF WASH staff are familiar with UNICEFs procedures for responding in an emergency.
- Take up support roles in an emergency response and early recovery, as and when the need arises.
5. Networking and partnership building
- Build and sustain close working partnerships with government counterparts and national stakeholders through active sharing of information and knowledge to facilitate programme implementation and build capacity of stakeholders to achieve WASH output results.
- Prepare materials for WASH programme advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnerships and support fund-raising.
- Participate in inter-agency discussions, ensuring that UNICEFs position, interests and priorities are fully considered and integrated in the UNDAF development planning and agenda setting.
6. Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Contribute to the systematic assessment of WASH sector capacity gap analysis, in collaboration with government and other stakeholders, and support the design of initiative to strengthen capacities systematically.
- Create and deliver learning opportunities for UNICEF WASH staff, to ensure our sector capacity remains up-to-date with latest developments.
- Prepare learning/knowledge products, covering innovative approaches and good practices, to support overall WASH sector development.
- Lead the development, implementation, monitoring and documentation of WASH action research and innovation (technical or systems).
To qualify as a champion for every child you will have
- Masters Degree in public health, social sciences, behavior change communication, sanitary engineering or other specialist field related to WASH is required.
- A minimum of five years of professional work experience in WASH-related programmes for developing countries, including one year deployment in a developing country.
- Oral and written proficiency in English is required. Knowledge of a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate
- Diversity and inclusion
- Communication (II)
- Working with people (II)
- Drive for results (II)
- Leading and Supervising (I)
- Formulating strategies and concepts (II)
- Analyzing (III)
- Applying technical expertise (III)
- Relating and networking (II)
- Deciding and Initiating action (II)
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Interested in finding out more?
You will have a rewarding experience working with a dynamic, diverse and committed staff who are making a difference in saving lives and building a better future for Every Child in Pakistan.
To know more about UNICEFs work in Pakistan, visit the country website www.unicef.org/pakistan
Videos from Pakistan can be viewed on YouTube and Vimeo
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
HEC Attested degrees are a pre-requisite for employment at UNICEF. During the recruitment process candidates may be required to present HEC attested degrees.