Title: Consultant Urban Planner
Job Type: Consultancy
Duty Station: Mardan (KhyberPakhtunkhwa)
Duration: 2 months, renewable subject to availability of funds and satisfactory performance
Urbanization Planning provides a framework for managing urban growth such that benefits equitably accrue to both urban and rural population, especially the marginalized and vulnerable groups without compromising on the resources necessary for the survival and development of coming generations. It primarily aims to creation of new social, cultural, political and economic values and institutions that contribute towards balancing the environmental factors, creating an equal and just society and opening up opportunities for innovation and creativity as a result of population concentration in cities. In developed countries, cities served as engine of growth because of an industrial base and vibrant service sector.
Human settlements in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa comprise of Peshawar as the primary city and a number of secondary and small cities in addition to a large number of villages which are fully integrated within the urban fabric. Administratively, they are also comprised of FATA (Federally Administered Tribal Areas) and special regions including Malakand Agency. Urban Planning of these human settlements essentially requires the following:
1. Establish and monitor baseline data and mapping on critical urban issues
2. Create multi stakeholder based mechanisms for participatory urban planning and management
3. Undertake demonstration projects to highlight innovative ways for demand driven community development projects
These terms of reference also address urbanization and urban development issues related to early recovery and rehabilitation of communities from Monsoon floods in Pakistan in 2010, which may include developing local government and community capacities, building participatory planning mechanisms and creating disaster risk reduction measures. More specifically in response to the devastation caused by monsoon floods, these TORs call upon the incumbent to assist and facilitate early recovery and rehabilitation efforts of UN HABITAT under projects specifically meant for the purpose.
Duties & Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Provincial Manager and the Senior Provincial Advisor and in close coordination with the provincial and technical team, the incumbent will have the following duties and responsibilities:
· To ensure highest technical specifications and standards in work related to Urban Planning within available resources and taking into consideration the indigenous techniques.
· Develop, plan and coordinate all projects in the domain of Urban Planning; integrating cross cutting themes, good practices and lesson learning activities in project design.
· Take overall responsibility for technical advice on interventions related to improving access of urban poor to basic services
· Work together with international experts, and other specialists for writing guiding principles and guidelines for implementation of projects (direct implementation/through partnership).
· Organize and conduct training sessions and workshops, and provide guidance and backstopping to the team for integrated implementation of basic services activities with other thematic area of the projects; preparation of training manuals and approval of training modules for staff, community and partners
· Provide support for social analysis, inclusion and mainstream gender in the projects and its monitoring; build strategic partnership and networking with all concerned UN-agencies, government stakeholders and civil societies to mobilize resources, exchange experiences and future scaling up .
· Identify and resolve constraints for programme implementation in a proactive manner, ensuring sufficient advise is provided so that projects are on track according to the agreed work plans; this requires close liaison with Technical Managers
· Coordinate with provincial and field levels, and ensure effective and efficient execution of assigned project by providing timely and appropriate technical assistance and management advice required by the programmes, through periodic field visits to districts, and evaluation of the work plan
· Liaise with all stakeholders including Provincial Government and local authorities for dissemination of information and implementation of projects.
· Participate actively in the management team and advise Provincial manager of issues of general policy.
· Promote UN-HABITAT mandate and objectives in the Province
· Ensure adherence to UN-HABITAT operational policies, procedures and standards of conduct
· Represent UN-HABITAT in the provincial project steering committees and at workshops and meetings as required
· Contribute to mobilization of resources for UN-HABITAT programme, developing project proposal and maximizing opportunities for interagency collaboration.
· Ensure timely preparation and submission of status or ad hoc reports as required by the Provincial Manager and other partners.
· Perform any other task assigned by the supervisor.
Required Qualification & Experience
· Master degree in urban planning or relevant discipline (architecture, engineering, urban economy urban sociology or urban geography) with minimum 10 years relevant experience in urban planning, urban management, community development and urban environment
· Excellent project management, reporting, time and resource management, interpersonal, business communication, negotiation and advanced computing skills including MS-Office applications
· Sound knowledge in housing, settlement planning, community development and urban environment from technical and institutional perspectives.
· Prior municipal and government experience is an advantage
· Ability to supervise, direct, coach and mentor staff
· Knowledge of UN rules and regulations is an advantage
· Knowledge of local area, language and community is essential
· Experience in emergency and post disaster area is required
· Ability to work under pressure and difficult conditions.
· Ability to complete assignments and deliver in time
· Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN values and ethical standards
· Ability of work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues
· Displays culture, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
· Treats all people fairly without favoritism
· Shares knowledge and experience and contributes to UN-Habitat practice areas and actively works towards continuing personal learning and development
· Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
· Ability to go beyond established procedures and models, propose new approaches which expand the range of programmes
· Ability to work with minimal supervision