1. Operates telephone exchange and controls flow of telephone calls. Connects outstation calls directly or through T&T Department and maintains record of such calls. Screens telephone calls to be connected and ensures proper priority to each call. Keeps the list of telephone numbers and latest directories.
2. Arranges collection and distribution of outgoing and incoming mail. Maintains register for outgoing mail.
3. Maintains daily telephone log book indicating outstation calls, telephone numbers, persons called, purpose (official/personal), duration of call and name of staff member making calls. Submits daily log book along with print-out of the phone calls, to the supervisor for certification. Ensures that printer is working properly and checks the print-out of the calls daily.
4. Operates fax machine and maintains register for incoming and outgoing faxes.
5. Keeps track of personal calls and ensures that personal calls are connected after approval and on the written request of the staff member. Submits list of personal calls to the supervisor for billing.
6. Keeps and delivers messages for incoming calls and from visitors, in absence of the concerned staff member or his/her secretary.
7. Upkeeps telephone system and supervises servicing and maintenance/repair of the telephone exchange. Maintains batteries installed for operation of telehone system and ensures that they are in working condition.
8. Carries out repairs of simple nature which could be done using codes provided by the engineer. Reports development of defects/faults to the maintenance contractor and to the supervisor for speedy rectification.
9. Receives visitors cordially, guides them, inform the concerned staff member accordingly to receive/meet the visitor. Makes sure all visitors enter through Reception and makes entry in the visitors’ register, sign and get visitors cards.